Friday, April 4, 2008

How Did We End Up Here?

This blog is about my daughter - Molly who is almost 9 years old. Somehow, in a moment of delusion, I decided that she needed a pony. I've been riding for over 25 years and have owned, leased, borrowed many horses in my time so I kind of knew what I was getting into. I currently have my own horse and compete quite frequently. OK, I really did know what I was getting into, but somehow I think I was sticking my head in the sand. Anyway, in November 2006, I bought Molly her pony. Treenie is a cute 15 year old pony mutt - her coggins say POA but I think there is some Shetland in her. We knew the pony because Molly used to take lessons on her - I knew she was safe and that was the most important factor in the decision.

When we got Treenie, Molly was just starting to figure out posting - her balance was not perfect and her timing was not quite there. However, as I said - Treenie was safe and I could always put Molly on the lunge line.

The first year was tough - At the time we were boarding at a barn about 40 min from our home. I would go out to ride my horse after the kids went to school and then go back to take Molly to ride. That did not last very long as it got to be a drag. As a result, I started taking Molly only on the weekends - that posed a problem with the hubby who said "I'm not a babysitter". - Funny, I can "babysit" kids all day though and foolish me - I though it was "parenting"! Okay, so this isn't working out either - plus I now had 2 horses on full board - OUCH!! Finally I got my act together and found a great barn for the pony near our home. I moved her in January of 2007.

Advantages - 1. Molly could go out and ride several times a week 2. They would take Treenie on turn out board for 1/2 the price I was paying at the other place 3. The instruction and people seemed really nice.

Disadvantages - Oh yeah - there weren't any!

Okay, so now I had a workable solution except it was kind of a crummy winter so Molly really did not ride consistently. As a result, Miss Treenie got a little spoiled and started getting a little piggy - dragging Molly into the center of the ring - trying to drag her out of the ring etc - you know - typical pony stuff. Fortunately, Molly stuck it out and things got better - until the spring when lessons went from the indoor to the outdoor -

Stay tuned for rest of this wild ride...

3 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Well, if it's not one horse it's another. sometimes that's the way it seems to go with horses. Hope you get this figured out with X

Jackie B said...

I remember those days as a kid learning to ride on a safe but smart horse. I had that same problem -- him dragging me out of the ring. My mom refused to shut the door because she wanted me to learn to keep him in. And I did.

Welcome to the blogosphere!

Pony Groom said...

Thanks for the comment and welcome Jackie. I'm glad to hear your Mom refused to close the door! I worry that I'm too mean!