Sunday, October 19, 2008

Gotcha!

In light of Treenie's latest attempts to take off with Molly, I made an emergency trip to the local tack shop in search of a pony sized pelham. Fortunately, they had one and we were able to try it out on Friday before the horse show. Below is a video with Treenie in her "normal" bit - the double twisted wire...believe it or not, this is not Treenie at her worst. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being horriffic) this this is about a 5-6. Her antics last week were about an 8-9!








Here is some video of the horse show this past weekend - with the pelham. What do you think?






Big difference no? It seems that we have found the answer - for now - until Treenie pulls something else out of her bag of tricks. However, the pelham has really seemed to have given her something that she never really had before - respect. I hope that this is something we can just build upon and will be able to keep moving forward now! Molly LOVED doing the short stirrup hunters.


I had an interesting phone call this morning - it was from the woman we bought Treenie from! She needed a phone number of a mutual acquaintance. Anyway, she asked how Treenie has been and I told her fine. I did tell her about the latest development and the move to a pelham. She told me that would use a kimberwicke when Treenie got bossy. Maybe for a few weeks until she remembered who was supposed to be the boss and then would go back to her normal bit. I felt a lot better because now I know that this is the pony and not us! I also felt that I was handling the problem correctly. So I guess I DO know something!


Molly really held her own in the short stirrup hunters this weekend. She needs to work on the finer points or riding courses in a show - like getting her lead changes consistently, but up until now, the priority has just been to get to the jumps. She has all winter to perfect things. She is definitely ready to move up though - maybe I need to update the title of the blog to Adventures in Short Stirrups?


This coming weekend is our big "local" dressage championship show. I am really excited about it. Molly could take it or leave it. She really does not realize that there are very few kids her age that do dressage. The fact that she is competitive at 9 with adults is a huge accomplishment. I just wish she would appreciate it!

2 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Those ponies, you never know what kind of tricks they have up their sleeves. Glad you were able to figure this one out.

Netherfieldmom said...

In the first clip, your daughter had much more forward posture than in the second. I was about to suggest Kimberwicke, when I read the rest of your post. The K. offers you the option of putting the rein in the snaffle position or the lower more "curb" position, without changing the bit. Also you can put a chain or strap on the back, if I remember right. Does your daughter know how to sit back and pull that pony's head around to one side, so show she means business? Obviously the pony is stronger, so the rider has to be more shrewd. Just a thought--strong, determined ponies can make tough little riders--Treenie seems pretty worth the efforts.