Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Could this one the THE ONE?

Molly tried a pony last week that just wasn't a match - oh well. It was a good experience for her to get on something new and she what it threw at her. The pony was actually a little rude, but Molly kept her cool and really acted like a pro (especially for a 9 year old!). She did a great job riding it but it was obvious this just wasn't for her. Plus, it was at the top of our budget so in my mind it had better be nice!

Yesterday we tried another. I really had no expectations since the ad had no picture and no video - great, we could be going out to see a half lame, horrible mover and ugly to boot. However, I googled the farm - the website looked pretty respectable and I was familiar with the shows they attend so I crossed my fingers and off we went.

The pony was actually pretty cute. He is quite green, but sensible, a good mover, and good jumper. He had a nice little attitude and was really good about the jumps. Of course, as soon as we walked in I thought he looked a little off (ok maybe more than a little - he was kind of head bobbing off) but there were a lot of factors going on here I gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Molly got on and rode pretty much like a sack of potatoes. I did not think this guy liked you to hang on his face, but Molly rode around with reins a mile too long. He didn't seem to care. Molly's stirrups were too long so her balance was all over the place - he didn't seem to care. He wasn't perfect - he needs work. He is inside out, a bit inverted and he gets a little quick. But I think he has a very kind attitude and when we finally did get Molly situated right and she put him together a bit he was VERY cute. He will not be something she can go out and horseshow on next weekend, but by the summer we should have something workable for the show ring (if we take him).


So here are the pro's for this one - Molly wanted to take him home as soon as we were done. He is a nice mover, a nice jumper and a nice attitude. He is also CHEAP (in horse terms) I think he can be flipped for nice money with a little work. We can take him on trial.

The con's - 1. WE NEED TO SELL TREENIE FIRST 2. He is green 3. He needs work

I think it is worth taking him on trial. We can see how he is and how much he progresses in a week. My concern is what if we really like him at the end of the week and we still have nothing happening on Treenie? Do I send him back and hope he doesn't get sold in the meantime? Can I send him back and ask for a right of first refusal? I'm kind of hoping we take him and then don't really like him because then - problem solved right? Oh boy, it's times like these when I really wish we did some other sport - like running!

No comments: